Apple first published "CarPlay" on June 10, 2013, mainly to embed its iOS to car systems and work with many vehicle manufacturers, and it has covered almost all models so far. Then in March 2015, Google company launched a new mobile phone program "android auto", its purpose is similar to Apple CarPlay, the function of Android device is projected to the car screen. Since the launch of Google company, it has been able to support more than 500 models from 50 different vehicle brands, but the coverage is much less than
CarPlay, such as Toyota, Porsche, Lexus, Buick, Ferrari, Genesis most models are currently is not supported Android Auto, which is very unfriendly to some Android phone users.
In 2020, few models of Audi, BMW and Toyota launched wireless CarPlay and wireless android auto instead of plugging a lightning cable to car's USB port. It allows you connect CarPlay via Bluetooth, and connect Android auto wirelessly.
Wireless CarPlay Cars & Android auto wireless compatible cars
- Acura: MDX, RDX
- Audi: A3/ A4/ A5/ A6/ A7/ A8/ GT/ Q3/ Q5/ Q7/ Q8/ E-Tron/ E-Tron
- Buick: Enclave/ Encore GX/ Envision
- BMW: 2 Series/ 3 Series/ 4 Series/ 5 Series/ 7 Series/ 8 Series/ X3/ X4/ X5/ X6/ X7/ Z4/ iX/ i4
- Chrysler: Pacifica
- Cadillac: CT4/ CT5/ XT4/ XT5/ XT6/ Escalade/ ESV
- Chevrolet: Bolt/ Blazer/ Camaro/ Corvette/ Equinox/ Malibu/ Silverado 1500/ 2500/ 3500/ Suburban/ Tahoe/ Trailblazer/ Traverse
- Dodge: Durango
- Ford: Bronco/ Edge/ E-Transit/ Expedition/ F-150/ Mustang
- GMC: Acadia/ Hummer EV/ Sierra/ Terrain/ Yukon
- Honda: Accord/ Civic
- Hyundai: Accent/ Elantra/ Ioniq/ Kona/ Palisade/ Santa Cruz/ Santa Fe/ Sonata/ Tucson/ Venue
- Infiniti: Q50/ Q60/ QX50/ QX55/ QX60/ QX80
- Jeep: Compass/ Grand Cherokee/ Wagoneer
- Kia: K5/ Carnival/ Forte/ Niro/ Rio/ Sorento
- Lincoln: Navigator/ Nautilus
- Maserati: Ghibli/ Levante/ MC20/ Quattroporte
- Porsche: 911/ Taycan/ Cayenne/ Panamera
- Ram: 1500/ 2500/ 3500/ ProMaster
- Toyota: Tundra
- Volkswagen: Arteon, Atlas/Atlas Cross Sport/ Golf GTI/Golf R/ ID.4/ Jetta/ Taos/ Tiguan
Upgrade to wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto?
One of the main advantages of using a wired CarPlay is that the iPhone can be charged while you are driving, rather than draining the battery from navigation. There are also many car owners who believe that connect CarPlay over Bluetooth is much better than the wired version in many ways.
Everything has two sides, wired and wireless have their own advantages, it depends on everyone's choice. Next, "your CarPlay expert - Premier box" will answer the questions that everyone cares about.
Does it work on vehicle that there's no android auto in car?
Yes, the premier box and AI Box come with Android system, as long as the original car has wired CarPlay, it can be used even if the car does not have android auto, set up the connection via Bluetooth and you can use Android Auto wirelessly.
What is the working principle of wireless CarPlay box?
- Bluetooth is used for authentication and WIFI is used for connection;
- Bluetooth is used for connection handshake. After the connection is successful, it will be actively disconnected by the mobile phone;
- The WIFI of the mobile phone is not available when connected, including WIFI networking, and the hotspot of the mobile phone.
Is there a lag when converting CarPlay to wireless?
Yes, this is set by Apple in order to optimize the wireless experience. The delay has nothing to do with the box. Except for the 1~2 second delay when listening to the phone and cutting songs, the other delays are not obvious and within the acceptable range.
Telephone loopback delay specification, wired 275ms, wireless 415ms, one-way increase 70ms.
Playing music. The starting water level is increased to 1s, so the delay will be obvious, but it is guaranteed that the sound is not easy to break. And music is not important to the delay requirements, so Apple has such an adjustment.
The delay of other audios also increased the water level by about 50ms, in fact, the experience is not too obvious.
Does wireless CarPlay work stable?
Through iterative version upgrades, the connection of aacarplay wireless box is quite stable.
There are no absolutes in everything. Due to the large number of models and the different configurations and settings of each vehicle, it is undeniable that there are certain unstable factors, but these can be solved by communicating with technical support.